American Speechsounds for Academics is designed for improving the spoken communication of academia with administration, department chairs, between colleagues, and with students. You start with listening and advance to recording progressively more difficult content. Our clients using American Speechsounds for Academics include:
- Colleges and universities
- Professors, teaching assistants, graduate students
Our Academic Version includes an Authoring function that allows you to easily and quickly create totally customized exercises: academic/technical terms, discipline specific expressions–even lectures.
Content includes all ten levels of the Academic Word List (AWL), discipline-specific content (biology, business/economics, chemistry, computer science, engineering, environmental science, humanities, mathematics, social science, physics), and campus slang and idioms.
This comprehensive software covers all the challenging areas of spoken English: consonant sounds, vowel sounds, stress, intonation, linking, word endings, casual speech, and more!
Scored listening exercises teach monitoring and recommend when to go on to recording. Record progressively more difficult content: words, phrases, and sentences–even speeches.
Practice independently, progress at your own pace.
Features of American Speechsounds Academic Version
- Includes 7000+ American English commonly used words and expressions in higher education
- Guides users from 38 language backgrounds: Chinese speakers, Hindi speakers, etc.
- Offers video clips, oral diagrams, instructions, explanations of common problems, and spelling examples for every sound.
- Presents Endings, Intonation, Linking, Shortcuts, Stress exercises
- Displays the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) symbols or American Speechsounds phonetic symbols
- Color codes vowel sounds
- Contains a Locator to help you find every word in the program
- Includes 160-page downloadable workbook plus Language-Based Directory and Locator; rights to reproduce the workbook for student use comes with the purchase of multiple programs